BMP 040 Why am I here? Finding Purpose Beyond Your 9-to-5 Job
Why am I here? focuses on finding the bigger purpose beyond a person’s 9-to-5 job. In this episode, Brent and Jamie talk through roadblocks and common missteps people make when looking for the “why” of their life.
Why am I here? discussion points
- First, what does purpose have to do with business?
- Second, Brent learned why purpose matters when he quit his job.
- Third, what Brent learned about himself through his non-profit work.
- Fourth, what does Mike Tyson have to do with this?
- Fifth, why wealth is NOT the same thing as purpose.
- Sixth, why it’s dangerous to have family be your purpose.
- Seventh, why it’s dangerous for your job to be your purpose.
- Eighth, how to find your real purpose.
- Ninth, why Brent looks at his day job as fundraising.
- Tenth, “what do you want on your tombstone?”
- Next, Brent’s favorite book on the topic of purpose.
- In addition, what would you do if you knew how your story ended?
- Why adjusting your direction is NOT a failure.
- Finally, Brent’s thoughts on the importance of purpose.
Freelance Writer and BMP Producer
Jamie Richardson is the Business Minutia Podcast producer and has worked as a freelance writer and editor for 15 years. She is the Legacy Director for Wonder Voyage.
Business Minutia Podcast
Brent Richardson is the owner, operator, and interviewer for Business Minutia. He has worked in an international engineering company since 2000. During that time, he has also served as a youth pastor and worked for a non-profit both as an adventure travel leader on youth pilgrimages and as a board member. He believes that the training he has received in leading volunteers has helped him in the corporate world as well.