BMP 014 New Manager 101: Transitioning From Individual Contributor to Management
Being a new manager can be overwhelming. You may deal with imposter syndrome as you try to figure out how to handle the new responsibilities. Brent Richardson helps take the guesswork out of the new job title as he shares everything he wishes someone had told him.
New Manager Topics Discussed
- First, new managers must understand that distributing hope is their top priority.
- Second, can cynicism and hope co-exist?
- Next, focus on delegation and time management.
- What role do age, race, gender, and other gaps play?
- Next, learn agility and flexibility.
- How management style should change between high performers and low performers.
- Why managing a Dream Team of top performers is a failure.
- Moreover, how to manage down, up, and sideways.
- In addition, what role does transparency play in team building?
- How (and when) to adapt your teams’ goals?
- Next, what role do goals and scoreboards play in management?
- Finally, the value of mentors and coaches and the unique way Brent utilizes them.
Your Next Great Listen
If you liked this episode, you might also like:
Freelance Writer and BMP Producer
Jamie Richardson is the Business Minutia Podcast producer and has worked as a freelance editor and writer for 15 years. Her work has appeared in multiple print and online publications including Dallas Morning News, Huff Post, Chicken Soup for the Soul, and Wow! Women on Writing. She is the Wonder Voyage Legacy Director where she connects investors with meaningful projects around the globe.
Business Minutia Podcast
Brent Richardson is the owner, operator, and interviewer for Business Minutia. He has worked in an international engineering company since 2000. During that time, he has also served as a youth pastor and worked for a non-profit both as an adventure travel leader on youth pilgrimages and as a board member. He believes that the training he has received in leading volunteers has helped him in the corporate world as well.