BMP 051 Email Etiquette: Tips To Help Your Email Stand Out To Executives
Email Etiquette brings tips and tricks from Jamie Richardson’s journalism background into the corporate office. She works with Brent to explain how to make emails to executives stand out in their overflowing inboxes.
Email Etiquette Points Discussed
- First, how journalism strategies help with emailing executives.
- Second, why conciseness is essential when emailing up your chain of command.
- Third, how and when to write the subject line.
- Fourth, how to decide what to include in the email and what to cut.
- Fifth, the value of knowing your audience.
- Sixth, why using language the recipient understands is essential.
- Seventh, know the 1-2 things the email is actually about before you start.
- Eighth, be careful of manipulation in the title.
- Ninth, the role colons can play in an email subject line.
- Tenth, what is the inverted pyramid and what does it have to do with emails?
- Eleventh, what if you have more than 1-2 things to communicate?
- Twelfth, the summary at the top must be clear, concise, and correct.
- Pro tip: read your email out loud.
- In addition, when to hit send on the email.
Author, Non-Profit Leader, and BMP Producer
Jamie Richardson has worked as a freelance writer for various print and online publications including Chicken Soup for the Soul, Dallas Morning News, HuffPost, and Wow! Women on Writing. Currently, she is focusing her writing time on a non-fiction book about spiritually-wounded women while serving as the Legacy Director for Wonder Voyage.
Business Minutia Podcast
Brent Richardson is the owner, operator, and interviewer for Business Minutia. He has worked in an international engineering company since 2000. During that time, he has also served as a youth pastor and worked for a non-profit both as an adventure travel leader on youth pilgrimages and as a board member. He believes that the training he has received in leading volunteers has helped him in the corporate world as well.