BMP 031 Email 101: The Essential Guide To Professional Emails
Email 101 is the second part in the BMP Essential Communication series. The first part, Meetings 101, is also available.
In this week’s episode, Brent Richardson shares the essentials to professional emails including timeliness, length, the “to” list, and what to avoid.
Email 101 Keys Discussed
- First, how much time does the person spend on email?
- Second, the competition for your attention and engagement.
- Third, big picture warnings of when an email would be better as a meeting.
- Fourth, avoid dollar words, acronyms, and analogies.
- Fifth, how to start an email with a solid problem statement.
- Sixth, focusing on the “to” list.
- Seventh, using the “CC” list and avoiding the “BCC” list.
- Eighth, best practices when looping people into an existing email thread.
- Ninth, email etiquette.
- Finally, a call to action for listeners.
Jamie Richardson is the Business Minutia Podcast producer and has worked as a freelance writer and editor for 15 years. She is the Legacy Director for Wonder Voyage and a homeschool mom of three.
Business Minutia Podcast
Brent Richardson is the owner, operator, and interviewer for Business Minutia. He has worked in an international engineering company since 2000. During that time, he has also served as a youth pastor and worked for a non-profit both as an adventure travel leader on youth pilgrimages and as a board member. He believes that the training he has received in leading volunteers has helped him in the corporate world as well.