BMP 043 Continuing Education: Why, What, and How to Learn to Increase Your Marketability
Continuing Education focuses on why learning new skills is important, what to focus your efforts on, and how to pursue that learning in both formal and informal ways to increase your marketability within your industry.
Continuing Education Keys Discussed
- Brent shares why continuing education is important.
- Brent and Jamie debunk the “grow or die” mindset.
- If you want to be able to lead, you have to be willing to grow.
- Understanding what your company wants versus what your industry wants.
- Why and how to lean into your network.
- When to pursue an advanced degree.
- The value of online classes.
- How to utilize classes offered within your company.
- The value of using free resources like Wikipedia and YouTube.
- Brent’s breakdown of where he spends his time in continuing education.
- The value of on-the-job training.
- How to use podcasts, books, and an app like Blinkist.
Freelance Writer and BMP Producer
Jamie is a freelance writer, editor, and homeschool mom to three teenagers. Though she often feels like a professional juggler, her schedule is full of things that bring her joy and purpose including her passion project, Legacy Voyages.
Business Minutia Podcast
Brent Richardson is the owner, operator, and interviewer for Business Minutia. He has worked in an international engineering company since 2000. During that time, he has also served as a youth pastor and worked for a non-profit both as an adventure travel leader on youth pilgrimages and as a board member. He believes that the training he has received in leading volunteers has helped him in the corporate world as well.