017 Confessions Of A Business Owner: An Honest Look At Tech Traps And Investors
Confessions of a Business Owner features iFly GPS programmer Walter Boyd. In this transparent interview, Boyd reveals two lessons he learned about tech traps and investors. His personal experiences may change how other business owners run their organizations.
Confessions of a Business Owner discusses:
- First, Walter shares his background including being self-taught.
- Second, we learn about the Adventure Pilot Website.
- Third, Walter talks about his transition into consulting.
- Fourth, we learn how the market crash of 2008 leads to the formation of iFly.
- Then, Walter talks about his early competition.
- Next, misstep one: missing the boat on the iPhone.
- Then, misstep two: not getting investors.
- Moreover, Walter shares the three areas that separate them from their competition: customer service, ease of use, and price.
- In addition, Walter delves into his first hires as a small business owner.
- Finally, he shares the unique way they are tackling the need for support staff.
Your next great listen
If you liked this episode, you may also like:
- Kelvin Walker‘s Dallas Forward interview about the impact COVID-19 has had on the Dallas economy.
- Growing Small with Dave Borski.
- Storytelling for Business with Shawn Small.
Born in California but raised in Dallas, Walter calls himself a Texan. As a child, Walter discovered computers and soon became a full-fledged geek and self-taught programmer. After leaving his posh corporate career, he combined his passions for flying and programming to build the iFly GPS app. He continues to be the hands-on visionary for his company, Adventure Pilot.
Business Minutia Podcast
Brent Richardson is the owner, operator, and interviewer for Business Minutia. He has worked in an international engineering company since 2000. During that time, he has also served as a youth pastor and worked for a non-profit both as an adventure travel leader on youth pilgrimages and as a board member. He believes that the training he has received in leading volunteers has helped him in the corporate world as well.
Sign Up To Stay
In The Loop
Our newsletter sends the latest news and guest insights straight to your inbox.
Leave a Comment